Apr 16 2009
In a nutshell today’s conservatism is one standard for me, and another for you. Here’s the world according to the typical teaparty conservative:
- When I complain its my right because its my free speech, but when you criticize back its a violation of my free speech
- The First Amendment applies to broadcasting because “congress shall make no law…abridging the freedom of speech…” If a liberal builds a transmitter and starts broadcasting on my favorite AM talk radio blowhard’s frequency then have them arrested, because congress can make such a law after all.
- Insure my investments through the FDIC, and increase the limits so my millions are safe, but don’t touch the banks that put them in jeopardy because that’s big government at work.
- Watch me hold my “No Socialism” sign high, at least until I have to put it down to get to my medicare-reimbursed doctor’s appointment
- And make sure the streetlights are on and the roads don’t have any potholes so that I can get to the tax protest without damaging my car.